Fresh Nigerian sectarian attack kills 3: Military
Jos: Three Fulani nomadic herdsmen were killed in fresh sectarian attacks staged by suspected ethnic Beroms in a village close to Nigeria`s flashpoint city of Jos, the military said.
The attack took place in the mainly-Christian Tusung village in the Barki Ladi region, about 40 kilometres south of Jos, last evening, just days three days after authorities lifted an 18-month curfew.
The three were reportedly searching for lost cattle when dozens of youths waylaid and murdered them before setting the bodies on fire, according to a mobile phone message by a senior military official.
The message by Colonel Kayode Ogundele, who directs operations of a special military unit deployed to stem inter-communal and religious violence in Plateau state, was sent to Brigadier General Femi Adeoye, the number two of the unit.
"From nowhere youths suspected to be Berom numbering about 500 appeared and started unleashing havoc on the three Fulani men and immediately they died and they were burnt, buried in shallow graves and later exhumed by the assailants themselves," read part of the text.
Muslim Hausa-Fulani herdsmen in March launched a wave of attacks on five Christian Berom villages, slaughtering more than 500 people according to state officials.
In Jos, the capital of Plateau state and its environs, movement in somewhat restricted depending on one`s ethnic group.
Ethnicity is generally linked to one`s faith – Beroms are normally seen as Christians while Hausa and Fulani are usually Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'