`Fresh wave of violence leaves 6 dead in Algeria`
Algiers: A fresh wave of violence in Algeria has killed at least six people and left around 20 wounded in recent days, Algerian media reported on Saturday.
Overnight Friday security forces in the eastern Boudjellal mountain region shot dead two gunmen near the border with Tunisia, the APS news agency reported.
"The two terrorists armed with automatic pistols were eliminated in an ambush carried out by the security forces...," a security source told the agency.
It was just the latest of several clashes in the region along the border with Tunisia.
Then early Saturday a suicide bomber blew up his car in front of a police station at Bordj-Menaiel, 70 kilometres (45 miles) east of Algiers, the daily El-Watan`s online edition reported.
Shortly afterwards, another suicide bomber drove his motorbike at a crowd near the town hall, killing a police officer, a local official and wounding 14 people: six civilians, seven police officers and a paramilitary gendarme.
The explosion seriously damaged the town hall and several nearby buildings.
On Wednesday a bomb attack at a military post near Baghlia in the same region killed two soldiers and wounded six more, the Algerian press reported on Saturday.
Troops were subsequently involved in a fierce gun battle with insurgents there.
Fighters with al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) have long been active in the eastern part of Algeria, particularly in the troubled Kabylie region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- SMASH HIT: Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is still ruling the Box Office! – Details inside
- Yogeshwar Dutt's Bronze to be upgraded to Silver: Virender Sehwag expresses excitement with HILARIOUS tweet
- Rahul Gandhi on three-day visit to Amethi from Wednesday
- ChampOne C1 at Rs 501: Know how to register; flash sale starts on Friday
- Philippines stops issuing haj passports to Muslim pilgrims