`Fresh wave of violence leaves 6 dead in Algeria`
Algiers: A fresh wave of violence in Algeria has killed at least six people and left around 20 wounded in recent days, Algerian media reported on Saturday.
Overnight Friday security forces in the eastern Boudjellal mountain region shot dead two gunmen near the border with Tunisia, the APS news agency reported.
"The two terrorists armed with automatic pistols were eliminated in an ambush carried out by the security forces...," a security source told the agency.
It was just the latest of several clashes in the region along the border with Tunisia.
Then early Saturday a suicide bomber blew up his car in front of a police station at Bordj-Menaiel, 70 kilometres (45 miles) east of Algiers, the daily El-Watan`s online edition reported.
Shortly afterwards, another suicide bomber drove his motorbike at a crowd near the town hall, killing a police officer, a local official and wounding 14 people: six civilians, seven police officers and a paramilitary gendarme.
The explosion seriously damaged the town hall and several nearby buildings.
On Wednesday a bomb attack at a military post near Baghlia in the same region killed two soldiers and wounded six more, the Algerian press reported on Saturday.
Troops were subsequently involved in a fierce gun battle with insurgents there.
Fighters with al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) have long been active in the eastern part of Algeria, particularly in the troubled Kabylie region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!