`Friend of India` Michael Foot passes away
London: Former Labour Party leader Michael
Foot, a friend of India who supported Indian independence
movement steadfastly, died here on Wednesday aged 96.
The Indian Journalists` Association (IJA) expressed
its deep sorrow at the passing away of Michael Foot,
describing him as "an unwavering friend of India and an
unabashed admirer of Jawaharlal Nehru".
"Foot`s interest in India and support for the Indian
independence movement was kindled in his youth. He joined the
India League, founded by Krishna Menon to campaign for Indian
freedom in the United Kingdom," it said in a statement.
A journalist by profession, Foot became a politician
by occupation, rising through the ranks of the Labour Party to
become Deputy Prime Minister under James Callaghan in the
1970s before being elected its leader.
He was an extraordinary orator, whether in Parliament
or public platforms. He belonged to the Left of the Labour
Foot courted controversy when as Deputy Prime Minister
he supported the promulgation of an Emergency by Prime
Minister Indira Gandhi in 1975.
But Foot felt he was justified to take this stand when
the Indian leader latter lifted this and called elections in
1977, which she lost.
Foot was elected Labour leader in 1980, succeeding Jim
Callaghan, but stood down after a heavy defeat in the 1983
election to Margaret Thatcher. A prolific writer, Foot was
first elected to Parliament in 1945 and was an MP for 42
Prior to becoming Labour leader, Foot served in the
Callaghan and Harold Wilson governments as Minister for
Employment and Commons leader.
Foot`s death was announced in the House of Commons by
Justice Secretary Jack Straw, who paid tribute to his skills
as a Parliamentary orator, comparing one speech he had given
in 1980 to a "Mozart concerto".
"He was held in very great affection in all sections
of the House and the country," Straw said.
Foot died shortly before 0700 GMT at his home in
Hampstead, north London. He had been ill for some time with
fading health and had been receiving 24-hour care.
Foot began his career as a journalist, and was editing
the London Evening Standard by the age of 28.
He had two spell as editor of left-wing journal
Tribune, a magazine he would continue to contribute to into
He entered Parliament in 1945, in Clement Attlee`s
postwar landslide and became a fierce champion of left wing
causes as well as a founder member of the Campaign for Nuclear
He was thrown out of the Parliamentary Labour Party
for two years because he opposed increases in defence
He was employment secretary in the 1974-76 Labour
government under Harold Wilson and went on to become Leader of
the House of Commons between 1976 and the 1979 general
IJA President Ashis Ray said Foot always maintained a
close relationship with IJA, often phoning its members to
enquire about what was going on in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'