Friend of India Richard Lugar loses Senate race
Washington: Indiana Senator Richard Lugar, a known friend of India in the Congress who played a key role in passage of the civil nuclear deal during Bush Administration, has lost the primary Senate elections in his state.
Lugar, a six-term Senator, lost to Indiana state Treasurer Richard Mourdock. His defeat yesterday brought an end to the political career of one of the longest serving Republican Senator spanning more than three and half decades.
He was the main target for national conservative groups, including the fiscally conservative Club for Growth, the National Rifle Association and the Tea Party-affiliated FreedomWorks, who spent more than USD 3 million in advertisement against him.
In a statement, US President Barack Obama said his administration`s efforts to secure the world`s most dangerous weapons has been based on the work that Lugar began, as well as the bipartisan cooperation we forged during his first overseas trip as Senator to Russia, Ukraine and Azerbaijan.
"Senator Lugar comes from a tradition of strong, bipartisan leadership on national security that helped us prevail in the Cold War and sustain US leadership ever since," Obama said.
Luger is the Ranking Member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
As a key member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee first as its Chairman and then as its Ranking member Lugar had played one of the most important role in passage of the India-US Civilian Nuclear Deal.
He was also the architect of the Kerry-Lugar-Berman bill that assured Pakistan more than USD 7.5 billion in US aid to Pakistan in five years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray