`Friends of Syria` agree to provide military aid to rebels
Doha: Foreign ministers of the "Friends of Syria" group of nations met in the Qatari capital of Doha for talks on the latest developments in Syria and agreed to further arm the opposition fighters.
Foreign ministers of 11 countries took part in the meeting, including the US, Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Jordan, and Turkey.
In a joint statement, the meeting agreed to "provide urgently all the necessary materials and equipment" to the rebels fighting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Xinhua reported.
The group also condemned "the intervention of the Shiite Hezbollah militia and fighters from Iran and Iraq".
Qatar`s Prime Minister Hamad Bin Jassim al-Thani said the only way to end the Syrian conflict was to arm the opposition and provide it with all forms of support.
On his part, US Secretary of State John Kerry asserted that all parties agree that ending the Syrian violence would allow the Syrian people to choose their future.
"The continued bloodshed at the hands of the Assad regime and the increasing involvement of Iran and its proxy Hezbollah threaten the prospect of a political settlement and of peace and the regime`s use of chemical weapons crossed President Obama and other nation`s red line," Kerry said at the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader