Fugitive former lawmaker returns to Indonesia
Jakarta: A former Indonesian lawmaker returned on Saturday after three months as a fugitive to face corruption charges in a case that has riveted the nation and tested its reputation in fighting graft.
Muhammad Nazaruddin, the governing Democratic Party`s former treasurer, was captured last week in Colombia after fleeing Indonesia three months ago. He has denied charges that he accepted $3 million in bribes from a company contracted to build an athletes` village for this year`s Southeast Asian Games.
Before his extradition, Nazaruddin called local newspapers and TV news stations to say he was ready to expose corruption elsewhere within the governing party.
The case — which underlines Indonesia`s challenge in changing its graft-ridden image — has threatened the credibility of the party`s founder, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, whose 2009 campaign for re-election presented him as the "Mr Clean" of Indonesian politics.
Hundreds of people have been arrested for alleged corruption since Yudhoyono took office, though critics note high-ranking officials have largely been left alone.
Nazaruddin was immediately taken into custody after landing in Jakarta on a flight from Bogota, the Anti-Corruption Commission said. The president has ordered that Nazaruddin receive full protection, while authorities investigate the Games scandal. No trial date has been set.
Indonesia emerged only recently from a 32-year dictatorship under Gen. Suharto, whose family was accused of corruption to the tune of $600 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31