Fugitive former lawmaker returns to Indonesia
Jakarta: A former Indonesian lawmaker returned on Saturday after three months as a fugitive to face corruption charges in a case that has riveted the nation and tested its reputation in fighting graft.
Muhammad Nazaruddin, the governing Democratic Party`s former treasurer, was captured last week in Colombia after fleeing Indonesia three months ago. He has denied charges that he accepted $3 million in bribes from a company contracted to build an athletes` village for this year`s Southeast Asian Games.
Before his extradition, Nazaruddin called local newspapers and TV news stations to say he was ready to expose corruption elsewhere within the governing party.
The case — which underlines Indonesia`s challenge in changing its graft-ridden image — has threatened the credibility of the party`s founder, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, whose 2009 campaign for re-election presented him as the "Mr Clean" of Indonesian politics.
Hundreds of people have been arrested for alleged corruption since Yudhoyono took office, though critics note high-ranking officials have largely been left alone.
Nazaruddin was immediately taken into custody after landing in Jakarta on a flight from Bogota, the Anti-Corruption Commission said. The president has ordered that Nazaruddin receive full protection, while authorities investigate the Games scandal. No trial date has been set.
Indonesia emerged only recently from a 32-year dictatorship under Gen. Suharto, whose family was accused of corruption to the tune of $600 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai