Fugitive Thai politician sets up anti-junta organisation
Bangkok: Charupong Ruangsuwan, a former Thai interior minister believed to be in self-imposed exile, Tuesday announced setting up of an organisation to counter the military junta.
In a video clip posted on YouTube, the former leader of Pheu Thai Party which was part of the ousted Yingluck government, said the newly-founded "Organization of Free Thais for Human Rights and Democracy " will fight against coup leaders and restore democratic rule in the country, Xinhua reported.
The junta which seized power May 22 has violated the rule of law, undermined democratic principles and encroached upon people`s rights, liberty and human dignity, said the politician. He has defied the junta`s order to report in and consequently faced an arrest warrant.
The anti-coup organisation, with Charupong serving as the secretary general, will operate from an undisclosed country, according to the video.
It is believed that a number of former lawmakers, academics, "red shirt" members and other anti-coup figures have joined the organisation.
Over the past month, the junta has kept a close eye on activities as well as remarks against the junta on social networks, which has resulted in the detention of a few activists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Can't yet verify if wedding bomber was child or linked to Islamic State: Turkish PM
- Donald Trump denies 'flip flopping' on immigration
- Govt plans to launch PM research fellowships for IIT graduates from next academic year
- Guwahati to host 2016 Indian Super League season opener
- An Alaskan village votes to relocate because of global warming