Fugitive Thai politician sets up anti-junta organisation
Bangkok: Charupong Ruangsuwan, a former Thai interior minister believed to be in self-imposed exile, Tuesday announced setting up of an organisation to counter the military junta.
In a video clip posted on YouTube, the former leader of Pheu Thai Party which was part of the ousted Yingluck government, said the newly-founded "Organization of Free Thais for Human Rights and Democracy " will fight against coup leaders and restore democratic rule in the country, Xinhua reported.
The junta which seized power May 22 has violated the rule of law, undermined democratic principles and encroached upon people`s rights, liberty and human dignity, said the politician. He has defied the junta`s order to report in and consequently faced an arrest warrant.
The anti-coup organisation, with Charupong serving as the secretary general, will operate from an undisclosed country, according to the video.
It is believed that a number of former lawmakers, academics, "red shirt" members and other anti-coup figures have joined the organisation.
Over the past month, the junta has kept a close eye on activities as well as remarks against the junta on social networks, which has resulted in the detention of a few activists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state