Fuhrer`s presence annoys football fans in New York bar
New York: Football enthusiasts crowding a bar here were taken aback when a man dressed as Adolf Hitler, complete with a trademark moustache and a swastika armband, walked in to support Germany in a World Cup tie.
The bar was packed largely by Argentinian fans watching the team take on Germany in the third quarter-final last week when the Fuhrer-like figure joined them and offered Nazi salutes time and again.
Moviemaker, Steve Staso, wore a taped-on moustache, a tan Nazi-like outfit and a swastika armband and entered Café Andalucia in Hell`s Kitchen, leaving some of the fans present offended, the New York Post said.
The 55-year-old also gave `Heil Hitler` salutes during the game, which ended with Germany thrashing Argentina 4-0 to seal a semi-final birth.
When asked to stop by several of the fans inside the soccer Bar, Staso said he had a right to express himself in the US.
A former law professor Steven Spielvogel recalled Staso shouting out "Deutschland!" and "Heil Hitler!" while making Nazi salutes.
"I had some choice words for him. I told him to remove it," said an offended Spielvogel, who added that other patrons were also annoyed at the antics.
"He said, `It`s America. I can do what I want`. I said, `I am Jewish, and I find it offensive," Spielvogel said. Later, Staso defended his actions saying: "You don`t tell people in Hell`s Kitchen what to do. The point is to have fun. You can`t have fun anymore".
"I stayed the whole game. I didn`t take off the costume on principal. I ordered a beer in German," he added. The cafe owner thought Staso did a "stupid thing" but said there was no need to make political issues about it.
He also expressed anger at the other customers who told New York police about the stunt.
However, another customer Joe McKenna was not offended by Staso`s antics.
"Last week he was Mexican. This week, he`s a Nazi. Who he is next week depends on who is in the final," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset