Fujimori asks for humanitarian pardon
Rio de Janeiro: Family members of former Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori, who has been in prison for human rights violations, has filed a request for a pardon on humanitarian grounds with the country`s justice ministry, citing his deteriorating health.
It may take some time for the Peruvian authorities to decide whether or not to grant the request sought on Wednesday due to strong opposition from the country`s human rights advocates.
The 74-year-old former leader is serving a 25-year prison sentence for the violations committed during his presidency.
The Peruvian judicial authorities will closely review his health condition before President Ollanta Humala makes a final decision on the matter.
The request for pardon was submitted by his four children including his eldest daughter, Keiko, 37.
Fujimori, who has been suffering from depression and high blood pressure, was taken to hospital last month for severe pain after undergoing in August his fifth surgery on cancer in the tongue.
The former president had been opposed to requesting a pardon as it could be construed as an admission of guilt, but he changed his stance in late September. (Kyodo)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister