Fujimori asks for humanitarian pardon
Rio de Janeiro: Family members of former Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori, who has been in prison for human rights violations, has filed a request for a pardon on humanitarian grounds with the country`s justice ministry, citing his deteriorating health.
It may take some time for the Peruvian authorities to decide whether or not to grant the request sought on Wednesday due to strong opposition from the country`s human rights advocates.
The 74-year-old former leader is serving a 25-year prison sentence for the violations committed during his presidency.
The Peruvian judicial authorities will closely review his health condition before President Ollanta Humala makes a final decision on the matter.
The request for pardon was submitted by his four children including his eldest daughter, Keiko, 37.
Fujimori, who has been suffering from depression and high blood pressure, was taken to hospital last month for severe pain after undergoing in August his fifth surgery on cancer in the tongue.
The former president had been opposed to requesting a pardon as it could be construed as an admission of guilt, but he changed his stance in late September. (Kyodo)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella India visit: Talks of transformative role of apps and services to come
- MEA official meets deceased Congolese national's family
- Good news for Rail Passengers! No service charge on ticket booked through card from June 1
- Japan keen to invest in India’s infrastructure growth story: Finance Minister
- People have figured out: Liam Hemsworth on reunion with Miley