Fujimori asks for humanitarian pardon
Rio de Janeiro: Family members of former Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori, who has been in prison for human rights violations, has filed a request for a pardon on humanitarian grounds with the country`s justice ministry, citing his deteriorating health.
It may take some time for the Peruvian authorities to decide whether or not to grant the request sought on Wednesday due to strong opposition from the country`s human rights advocates.
The 74-year-old former leader is serving a 25-year prison sentence for the violations committed during his presidency.
The Peruvian judicial authorities will closely review his health condition before President Ollanta Humala makes a final decision on the matter.
The request for pardon was submitted by his four children including his eldest daughter, Keiko, 37.
Fujimori, who has been suffering from depression and high blood pressure, was taken to hospital last month for severe pain after undergoing in August his fifth surgery on cancer in the tongue.
The former president had been opposed to requesting a pardon as it could be construed as an admission of guilt, but he changed his stance in late September. (Kyodo)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing