Fujimori asks for humanitarian pardon
Rio de Janeiro: Family members of former Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori, who has been in prison for human rights violations, has filed a request for a pardon on humanitarian grounds with the country`s justice ministry, citing his deteriorating health.
It may take some time for the Peruvian authorities to decide whether or not to grant the request sought on Wednesday due to strong opposition from the country`s human rights advocates.
The 74-year-old former leader is serving a 25-year prison sentence for the violations committed during his presidency.
The Peruvian judicial authorities will closely review his health condition before President Ollanta Humala makes a final decision on the matter.
The request for pardon was submitted by his four children including his eldest daughter, Keiko, 37.
Fujimori, who has been suffering from depression and high blood pressure, was taken to hospital last month for severe pain after undergoing in August his fifth surgery on cancer in the tongue.
The former president had been opposed to requesting a pardon as it could be construed as an admission of guilt, but he changed his stance in late September. (Kyodo)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!