Fujimori corruption trial begins in Peru
Lima: Former Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori, who already faces the prospect of spending the rest of his life in prison, went on trial again on Monday, charged with authorising wiretaps and bribes of politicians, journalists and businessmen.
Prosecutors charge Fujimori and his former spy chief Vladimiro Montesinos used state funds to secretly wiretap 28 politicians, journalists and businessmen, bribe 13 congressmen to join Fujimori`s party and buy off a TV station and a newspaper editorial board for political propaganda.
The 71-year-old former president wore a crisp blue suit and golden tie, closing his eyes and appearing to sleep as chief prosecutor Jose Pelaez named many of the 153 witnesses he plans to call, including Montesinos and Fujimori`s ex-wife.
Democratically elected in 1990, Fujimori ruled Peru with an increasingly iron fist until his corruption-riddled government collapsed in 2000 when a videotape surfaced showing
Montesinos bribing congressmen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections