Fujimori in hospital for cancer recurrence
Lima: Peru`s jailed former president Alberto Fujimori has been admitted to hospital for tests after a recurrence of cancer, according to his attorney.
"The ex-president has been transferred (from his cell to Lima`s top cancer hospital INEN) for evaluation, and probably will require surgery," William Castillo told reporters yesterday.
Castillo said the disgraced ex-president, 75, was expected to be in the hospital for five days.
Fujimori is serving a 25-year sentence after being convicted in 2009 of human rights violations during his 1990-2000 tenure.
He has suffered a recurrence of cancer in the same area of the tongue where he was operated on previously, his son lawmaker Kenji Fujimori said last week.
A medical board in March said that he had suffered recurrent tongue cancer but was then "without current evidence of cancer."
The already jailed ex-president is currently on trial for corruption. In the present court case against him, which got under way on October 17, prosecutors accuse Fujimori of diverting some USD 40 million of the military`s budget to tabloids supporting his 2000 re-election campaign.
Forced to resign in 2000, Fujimori fled to Japan but was extradited in 2007 to face charges at home.
In June, President Ollanta Humala denied Fujimori`s request for a pardon on humanitarian grounds due to his poor health.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery