Fujimori leads Humala in Peru Presidential poll
Lima: Right-wing lawmaker Keiko Fujimori has a narrow lead over left-wing nationalist Ollanta Humala ahead of Peru`s June 5 presidential run-off election, a poll by survey firm Datum showed on Thursday.
The nationwide poll, published in newspaper Peru 21, showed Fujimori with a 2.7-point lead, getting 40.6 percent of the vote to Humala`s 37.9 percent.
It was the second time this week a poll has shown Fujimori pulling ahead of Humala. Datum`s survey size and margin of error were not immediately available, though the poll did show that more than a fifth of voters were undecided or plan to abstain in the tight race. Datum`s previous polls have had a margin of error of 1.4 points.
Humala, a former army officer who campaigns as a moderate leftist but spooks investors with his more radical policy platform, is nearly neck-and-neck with Fujimori, who is more trusted by investors.
Peruvian markets plunged after Humala won the first-round vote on April 10 but have since partly recovered as investors bet on a Fujimori victory.
Three other pollsters now show a statistical tie. A poll by Ipsos Apoyo on Sunday gave Fujimori a 2 percentage point lead, her first in the race, but it was within the margin of error.
Before the latest gains, the market value of Peru`s stock index plunged by about USD 18 billion in less than three weeks, according to the Maximixe brokerage. The sol currency has also been volatile in one of the world`s fastest-growing economies, which boomed 9 percent last year, though a third of Peruvians still live in poverty.
Credicorp, Peru`s largest financial holding company, on Tuesday said it expects monthly volume of new mortgage loans, which have been an engine of economic growth, to fall in the second quarter due to uncertainty over the presidential election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report