Fukushima water decontamination system down again
Tokyo: The operator of Japan`s crippled Fukushima nuclear plant said today it had shut down a key decontamination system used to clean radiation-tainted water, just hours after it came back online.
Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) switched off its Advanced Liquid Processing System (ALPS) after workers discovered leaks "seeping" from a tank yesterday.
About eight litres (2.1 gallons) of tainted water is believed to have leaked out, a company spokesman said. He added there was no immediate safety risk as the water had been recovered.
The suspension came just six hours after the embattled operator switched back on two of three lines in the system, which cleans radiation-tainted water used to cool the reactors damaged by Japan`s devastating 2011 quake-tsunami disaster.
The whole system had been shut down last Wednesday after TEPCO discovered a defect. The firm has repeatedly switched the system off over a series of glitches since trial operations began a year ago.
TEPCO is struggling to handle a huge -- and growing -- volume of contaminated water at Fukushima following the quake-tsunami, which sparked the worst atomic crisis in a generation as well as sweeping away some 18,000 victims.
Giant waves crashed into the plant, sparking reactor meltdowns and explosions. Cleaning up the shattered site is expected to take decades.
There are about 436,000 cubic metres of contaminated water stored at the site in about 1,200 purpose-built tanks.
Many experts say that at some point the water will have to be released into the sea after being scrubbed of the most harmful contaminants.
They say it will pose a negligible risk to marine life or people, but local fishermen and neighbouring countries are fiercely opposed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- High-speed Spanish Talgo train begins trial run, to be introduced on Delhi-Mumbai route
- Want to improve your sex life? Ditch tampons for menstrual cups!
- Batla House encounter: BJP protests outside Sonia Gandhi's residence
- 'FIR' actor Suresh Chatwal no more, co-star Kavita Kaushik expresses grief
- Virat Kohli fails to breach 1000-run barrier but breaks Suresh Raina's IPL batting record