Fulani militia kill 20 in Nigeria
Abuja: Twenty persons have been killed in an attack on two villages in northern Nigeria by the suspected members of Fulani militia.
Attakar and Dajak villages in Ganawuri district of Riyom local government area, were over-ran in a midnight attack by the people suspected to be from Fulani militia, a state parliamentarian representing the area, Daniel Dem said.
He confirmed the casualty figure.
"The villages have never been attacked in the past, so there was no security presence there, and the militia took advantage of that and wrecked havoc on the people, killing them and burning their houses." Dem said.
"Corpses littered the village squares," he added.
A statement issued by the state Commissioner of Information, Abraham Yiljap said that the governor of Plateau state, Jonah Jang had immediately directed the deployment of military and special police forces to take charge of situation and urged the people to remain calm.
He added that government is working hard to "prevent escalation and instill confidence in the community."
Nonetheless, villagers moved out en masse with their properties and livestock to relocate to neighbouring cities.
Hundreds of people have died in internecine crises involving ethnic Fulanis and Beroms in Jos and its environs.
Sometimes the clashes take religious colouration as Christians attack Muslims or vice versa.
Majority of the Fulanis are Muslims while the Beroms are mostly Christians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi