Fulani militia kill 20 in Nigeria
Abuja: Twenty persons have been killed in an attack on two villages in northern Nigeria by the suspected members of Fulani militia.
Attakar and Dajak villages in Ganawuri district of Riyom local government area, were over-ran in a midnight attack by the people suspected to be from Fulani militia, a state parliamentarian representing the area, Daniel Dem said.
He confirmed the casualty figure.
"The villages have never been attacked in the past, so there was no security presence there, and the militia took advantage of that and wrecked havoc on the people, killing them and burning their houses." Dem said.
"Corpses littered the village squares," he added.
A statement issued by the state Commissioner of Information, Abraham Yiljap said that the governor of Plateau state, Jonah Jang had immediately directed the deployment of military and special police forces to take charge of situation and urged the people to remain calm.
He added that government is working hard to "prevent escalation and instill confidence in the community."
Nonetheless, villagers moved out en masse with their properties and livestock to relocate to neighbouring cities.
Hundreds of people have died in internecine crises involving ethnic Fulanis and Beroms in Jos and its environs.
Sometimes the clashes take religious colouration as Christians attack Muslims or vice versa.
Majority of the Fulanis are Muslims while the Beroms are mostly Christians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up