Fund securities of US embassies: Barack Obama to Congress
Washington: US President Barack Obama has asked the Congress to support and fully fund his Administration`s budget request to improve security of American embassies around the world in the wake of terrorist attack on its mission in Libya that left its envoy dead.
"I want to say to members of Congress in both parties, we need to come together and truly honour the sacrifice of those four courageous Americans and better secure our diplomatic posts around the world," Obama told reporters yesterday.
Later in a statement, Obama also called on Congress to support the full implementation of the recommendations of the Benghazi Accountability Review Board (ARB), including recommendations associated with additional support, authorities, and resources for the State Department.
Obama also called on the Congress to support his efforts to enhance the Marine Security Guard detachments around the world as a part of his effort to better secure high-risk posts.
Obama has directed the Defence Department to ensure that US military can respond lightning quick in times of crisis.
"But we`re not going to be able to do this alone. We`re going to need Congress as a partner. So I`ve been in discussions, and my team has been in discussions, with both Democrats and Republicans, and I`m calling on Congress to work with us to support and fully fund our budget request to improve the security of our embassies around the world," he said.
The White House said in the wake of the attacks on US diplomatic facilities in September 2012, the Department of State reviewed its global security posture and took steps necessary to address security vulnerabilities, including submitting a request to reallocate USD 1.4 billion in fiscal 2013 resources to begin work this year that was approved by the Congress.
In addition to the USD 1.4 billion requested in fiscal 2013, the fiscal 2014 budget request provides over USD 4 billion for the Department of State`s embassy security programs, fully supporting this critical priority.
As part of this effort, the budget includes USD 2.2 billion to support increased embassy security construction recommend by the ARB.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- India finds promising natural gas hydrates in Bay of Bengal
- Borussia Dortmund deny reports of Manchester City's EUR 70 million bid for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Kapil Sharma aka Kappu's Twitter account 'hacked'! – Know who did it
- More than 37,000 flee South Sudan for Uganda: UN
- World to end in a global apocalypse this Friday on July 29?