Fund securities of US embassies: Barack Obama to Congress
Washington: US President Barack Obama has asked the Congress to support and fully fund his Administration`s budget request to improve security of American embassies around the world in the wake of terrorist attack on its mission in Libya that left its envoy dead.
"I want to say to members of Congress in both parties, we need to come together and truly honour the sacrifice of those four courageous Americans and better secure our diplomatic posts around the world," Obama told reporters yesterday.
Later in a statement, Obama also called on Congress to support the full implementation of the recommendations of the Benghazi Accountability Review Board (ARB), including recommendations associated with additional support, authorities, and resources for the State Department.
Obama also called on the Congress to support his efforts to enhance the Marine Security Guard detachments around the world as a part of his effort to better secure high-risk posts.
Obama has directed the Defence Department to ensure that US military can respond lightning quick in times of crisis.
"But we`re not going to be able to do this alone. We`re going to need Congress as a partner. So I`ve been in discussions, and my team has been in discussions, with both Democrats and Republicans, and I`m calling on Congress to work with us to support and fully fund our budget request to improve the security of our embassies around the world," he said.
The White House said in the wake of the attacks on US diplomatic facilities in September 2012, the Department of State reviewed its global security posture and took steps necessary to address security vulnerabilities, including submitting a request to reallocate USD 1.4 billion in fiscal 2013 resources to begin work this year that was approved by the Congress.
In addition to the USD 1.4 billion requested in fiscal 2013, the fiscal 2014 budget request provides over USD 4 billion for the Department of State`s embassy security programs, fully supporting this critical priority.
As part of this effort, the budget includes USD 2.2 billion to support increased embassy security construction recommend by the ARB.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Raghuram Rajan, Arvind Subramanian 'foisted' on India by Americans: Swamy
- Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy terms burkini as 'provocation' that supports radical Islam
- Being obese can cause 13 types of cancer, say scientists
- All you want to know about Krishna Janmashtami: Muhurat, puja vidhi and timings!
- Tillakaratne Dilshan to retire from international cricket after 3rd ODI, two T20Is against Australia