Furious Iran wants action over scientist`s killing
Tehran: The assassination of one of Iran`s nuclear scientists sparked deep fury in Tehran on Thursday against prime suspect Israel and against the United States, which said it had nothing to do with the murder.
Some hardline newspapers even called for retaliatory action, with one, Keyhan, saying in an editorial that "assassinations of Israeli officials and military are achievable”.
The Iranian government`s reaction was just as angry, though more measured.
In a letter demanding a strong condemnation from the UN Security Council, it said it had evidence unnamed "foreign quarters" were behind the killing of scientist Mostafa Ahmadi Roshan yesterday.
The 32-year-old scientist and deputy director of Iran`s Natanz uranium enrichment facility died when two riders on a motorbike rode by his car trapped in Tehran`s rush-hour traffic and slapped onto it a magnetic bomb that directed a deadly blast inside the vehicle.
The blast also killed Ahmadi Roshan`s driver/bodyguard and wounded a third occupant of the Peugeot 405. The attack was similar to four others that have occurred in Tehran in the past two years. Three scientists, at least two of whom also worked on Iran`s controversial nuclear programme, died, while another -- who now heads the country`s atomic energy organisation -- escaped just in time.
The latest attack dominated Iran`s media today. Many outlets criticised what they said was the silence of the West over the killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside