Future of Syria cannot include Bashar al-Assad: US
Washington: While maintaining its earlier position on Syria, US has said the only outcome that is right for the people of west Asian country is the transition from the Assad era to a post-Assad era and strongly believed that Bashar al-Assad has no place in the country`s future.
"Regardless of the options that the President is reviewing and the options that he implements, it is absolutely our position that the only outcome that is right for the Syria people is the transition in Syria from the Assad era to a post-Assad era," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said yesterday.
"It has long been our position that the best way to accomplish that is through a political transition," he added.
That is why, he said, the US along with the Russia has reinvigorated the Geneva framework that envisions that political transition.
Carney said that the future of the Syria cannot include Bashar al-Assad because he has the blood of his own people on his hands and he has proven himself to be a terrible tyrant and a murderer.
He said it`s up to the Syrian opposition to decide which elements of Assad`s regime could be included in a transitional government.
"They have made clear that they do not view Assad as having a role in that process. We have made clear that we do not believe that Assad has any place in Syria`s future.
"But obviously, the decisions about the process itself and who participates in it would have to be agreed to by the Syrian opposition," Carney said in response to a question.
Meanwhile, a legislation by bipartisan group of Senators which plans on a post-Assad Syria made its way through the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
"This legislation will provide critical support to the Syrian opposition through provision of military assistance, training, and additional humanitarian support," said Senator John McCain, Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
He said that for the necessary political transition in Syria, moderate forces must gain the upper hand, and Assad must doubt his chances of survival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Rio Olympics 2016: Stupid to talk about hockey team's medal hopes, says Viren Rasquinha
- Putting past discrimination behind, Dutee Chand targets medal at Rio Olympics
- PM Narendra Modi posts video message on Facebook; it's MUST WATCH for UP residents
- Two more arrested over links with Nice attacker
- Rajinikanth thanks fans for 'Kabali' success with THIS sweetest gesture! - Details inside