G8 protest: Over 30 protesters arrested in London
London: Nearly three dozen protesters were arrested in London on Tuesday amid demonstrations against next week`s Group of Eight summit in Northern Ireland.
A news agency`s photographer reported minor scuffles between police and demonstrators making their way to a "Carnival Against Capitalism" planned by the group StopG8. Some protesters congregated outside the offices of oil giant BP, unfurling a banner that read "Stop the G8!!"
Before the protests, riot police also swooped in on a building occupied by the anti-G-8 protesters. Video footage showed officers in climbing gear on the building`s roof, tackling a protester.
Scotland Yard said 32 people have been arrested for a variety of alleged offenses, including assault on police and criminal damage.
G8 leaders will meet in Lough Erne, Northern Ireland, on June 17-18. The group is made up of the world`s eight richest economies: the US, Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and Russia.
The summit will be on the agenda tomorrow when UK Foreign Secretary William Hague travels to Washington to meet US Secretary of State John Kerry. They also are expected to discuss Syria and the Middle East peace process.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive