G8 protest: Over 30 protesters arrested in London
London: Nearly three dozen protesters were arrested in London on Tuesday amid demonstrations against next week`s Group of Eight summit in Northern Ireland.
A news agency`s photographer reported minor scuffles between police and demonstrators making their way to a "Carnival Against Capitalism" planned by the group StopG8. Some protesters congregated outside the offices of oil giant BP, unfurling a banner that read "Stop the G8!!"
Before the protests, riot police also swooped in on a building occupied by the anti-G-8 protesters. Video footage showed officers in climbing gear on the building`s roof, tackling a protester.
Scotland Yard said 32 people have been arrested for a variety of alleged offenses, including assault on police and criminal damage.
G8 leaders will meet in Lough Erne, Northern Ireland, on June 17-18. The group is made up of the world`s eight richest economies: the US, Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and Russia.
The summit will be on the agenda tomorrow when UK Foreign Secretary William Hague travels to Washington to meet US Secretary of State John Kerry. They also are expected to discuss Syria and the Middle East peace process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Lemon: An ideal ingredient for your glowing skin, good health
- 'Baar Baar Dekho' promotions: Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra stun with their chemistry on 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa'
- Pleasant music helps employees turn in better performances: Study
- Unbelievable! Airtel offers 10 GB 4G data at just Rs 250
- Using Facebook, Twitter may cut BP, diabetes in elderly