Gabbard feels her Hindu faith an asset as Congresswoman
Washington: Tulsi Gabbard, who appears all set to become the first Hindu to be elected to the US House of Representatives, has said her faith would be an asset in the Congress as it would help enhance mutual understanding between America and India.
"It is clear that there needs to be a closer working relationship between the United States and India. How can we have a close relationship if decision-makers in Washington know very little, if anything, about the religious beliefs, values, and practices of India`s 800 million Hindus?" Gabbard asked.
"Hopefully the presence in Congress of an American who happens to be Hindu will increase America`s understanding of India as well as India`s understanding of America," Gabbard, 31, was quoted as saying `Religion News Service` news agency.
While Gabbard has welcomed Indian-American support, her campaign noted that their contributions account for less than 3 per cent of the total it has raised.
Still, her potential election has electrified the Hindu American community, which is estimated to be from 600,000 to 2.3 million, most of them Indian-Americans.
Gabbard, was born in American Samoa to a Catholic father and a Hindu mother, fully embraced Hinduism as a teenager.
Gabbard was elected to the Hawaii state legislature in 2002, when she was only 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof