Gaddafi flees to hospitals over assassination fears
London: Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi has reportedly become ‘very paranoid’ and is hiding at a different hospital every night to escape NATO bombings and assassins.
Last night, British Prime Minister David Cameron gave permission for four Apache attack helicopters to deploy in Libya to “turn the screws” on Gaddafi after spy chiefs informed that the dictator is “on the run”.
Intelligence gathered by British, American and French spies in the past week suggests that Gaddafi has become ‘very paranoid’ and is convinced senior members of his military are going to kill him, the Daily Mail reports.
The paper quoted senior sources in Tripoli as saying that Gaddafi had already abandoned his command bunkers and usual safe houses.
“Gaddafi appears to be moving from hospital to hospital and spending each night in a different one. The judgment we are making is that this means it is the right time to turn up the heat and try to make it tell,” a diplomatic source said.
While British officials insisted that Colonel Gaddafi is not a target, the Apaches are equipped with 16 Hellfire ground attack missiles capable of taking out armoured vehicles or a fast-moving car from five miles, the paper said.
During the G8 summit in Deauville yesterday, Cameron had reportedly discussed his plans with US President Barack Obama and French President Nicolas Sarkozy.
The diplomatic source also said that the Libyan senior commanders have stopped using their phones for the fear of being tapped.
“There’s a picture building up of this man who is very paranoid and a regime that’s increasingly feeling under pressure and beginning to fracture. We are also getting the sense that a lot of senior commanders have stopped using their phones – they are clearly worried they are being listened to, and that’s having an impact on their ability to communicate,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt