Gaddafi forces sow landmines in east Libya
Benghazi: Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi`s forces have sown landmines in areas around the city of Ajdabiyah, adding a dangerous new element to the war on the eastern front, human rights and mine experts said on Thursday.
The mines include Brazilian-made anti-personnel mines and Egyptian-made anti-tank mines.
Two minefields were discovered by monitors in the days following last Saturday`s retreat from Ajdabiyah by Gaddafi`s troops and appear to be have been laid during their 10-day occupation of the crossroads town 150 km (90 miles) south of the rebel capital Benghazi.
His forces have since reversed the retreat with a counter-attack and were at the gates of Ajdabiyah once again on Thursday.
The first field was sown around electricity pylons a few yards off the Ajdabiyah-Benghazi road in an area of sand near the town`s Eastern Gate, Peter Bouckaert, a Human Rights Watch monitor in Benghazi, said.
An electrical repair truck hit a mine there on Monday and then another as men tried to pull it out, he said. There were no casualties.
Mine clearers marked out 24 anti-tank mines and 30 to 40 anti-personnel mines, he said, adding that many vehicles and people on foot pass by the area.
A second field with a similar number of mines was found near a clutch of buildings about a kilometer away.
The use of landmines brings a dangerous new dimension to the conflict that has been fought over 100s of kilometers up and down Libya`s main coastal highway linking the east and the west.
The rebel army, made up largely of untrained volunteers and a cavalcade of supporters, is highly undisciplined and is scattered over a wide area behind the vanguard.
Bouckaert said his team had also found stocks of mines abandoned by Gaddafi`s forces.
"We found 12 warehouses of anti-vehicle mines in Benghazi, tens of thousands of them," he said.
They also came across 35 warehouses full of munitions in Ajdabiyah. They held no stocks of landmines but had vast quantities of artillery shells, mortar bombs and anti-tank missiles.
Libya has not signed the 1997 Mines Ban Treaty, which in any case does not prohibit the use of anti-vehicle mines.
"The only mines that are banned are the anti-personnel mines so they can put as many anti-tank mines as they like. It`s part of the game," said an international mines expert, who asked not to be identified to protect the confidentiality of his mission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly