Gaddafi hit by bullets in head; body ‘dragged’ on streets

Arab satellite TV stations have broadcast a video showing Muammar Gaddafi captured alive by revolutionary forces.

Sirte: Arab satellite TV stations have broadcast a video showing Muammar Gaddafi captured alive by revolutionary forces.

The video shows a wounded Gaddafi with a blood-soaked shirt and bloodied face leaning up against the hood of a truck and restrained by fighters. They then push him toward another car, as he shouts and struggles against them.

The 69-year-old Gaddafi is the first leader to be killed in the Arab Spring wave of popular uprisings that swept the Middle East, demanding the end of autocratic rulers and the establishment of greater democracy.

"We have been waiting for this moment for a long time. Muammar Gaddafi has been killed," Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril told a news conference in the capital Tripoli.

His death decisively ends a regime that had turned Libya into an international pariah and ran the oil-rich nation by the whims and brutality of its notoriously eccentric leader. Libya now enters a new era, but its turmoil may not be over. The former rebels who now rule are disorganized, face rebuilding a country stripped of institutions, and have already shown signs of infighting, with divisions between geographical areas and Islamist and more secular ideologies.

Initial reports from fighters said Gaddafi had been barricaded in with his heavily armed loyalists in the last few buildings they held in his Mediterranean coastal hometown of Sirte, furiously battling with revolutionary fighters closing in on them Thursday. At one point, a convoy tried to flee the area and was blasted by NATO airstrikes, but Jibril specified Gaddafi was not killed by the strike. Most accounts agreed Gaddafi was shot to death by fighters.

Fighters in Sirte rolled Gaddafi`s body on the pavement, according to footage aired on Al-Jazeera, TV. The goaded Gaddafi was stripped to the waist and his head was bloodied.

The body was then paraded through the streets of the nearby city of Misrata on top of a vehicle surrounded by a large crowd chanting, "The blood of the martyrs will not go in vain," according to footage aired on Al-Arabiya television. The fighters who killed Gaddafi are believed to have come from Misrata, a city that suffered a brutal weeks-long siege by Gaddafi`s forces during the eight-month long civil war.

Abdel-Jalil Abdel-Aziz, a doctor who was part of the medical team that accompanied the body in the ambulance to Misrata, said Gaddafi died from two bullet wounds, to the head and chest.

"You can`t imagine my happiness today. I can`t describe my happiness," he told a news agency. "The tyranny is gone. Now the Libyan people can rest."

Celebratory gunfire and cries of "Allahu Akbar" or "God is great" rang out across the capital Tripoli. Cars honked their horns and people hugged each other. In Sirte, the ecstatic former rebels celebrated the city`s fall after weeks of bloody siege by firing endless rounds into the sky, pumping their guns, knives and even a meat cleaver in the air and singing the national anthem.

Libya`s new leaders had said they would declare the country`s "liberation" after the fall of Sirte.

The death of Gaddafi adds greater solidity to that declaration.

It rules out a scenario that some had feared — that he might flee deeper into Libya`s southern deserts and lead a resistance campaign against Libya`s rulers. There were reports that one of Gaddafi`s sons, Muatassim, was captured in Misrata on Thursday. The fate of another of his sons, Seif al-Islam and Muatassim, as well as some top figures of his regime remains unknown, but their ability to rally loyalists would be deeply undermined with Gaddafi`s loss.

Sirte`s fall caps weeks of heavy, street-by-street fighting as revolutionary fighters besieged the city. Despite the fall of Tripoli on Aug. 21, Gaddafi loyalists mounted fierce resistance in several areas, including Sirte, preventing Libya`s new leaders from declaring full victory in the eight-month civil war. Earlier this week, revolutionary fighters gained control of one stronghold, Bani Walid.

By Tuesday, fighters said they had squeezed Gaddafi`s forces in Sirte into a residential area of about 700 square yards but were still coming under heavy fire from surrounding buildings.
In an illustration of how heavy the fighting has been, it took the anti-Gaddafi fighters two days to capture a single residential building.

Reporters at the scene watched as the final assault began around 8 a.m. Thursday and ended about 90 minutes later. Just before the battle, about five carloads of Gaddafi loyalists tried to flee the enclave down the coastal highway that leads out of the city. But they were met by gunfire from the revolutionaries, who killed at least 20 of them.

Col. Roland Lavoie, spokesman for NATO`s operational headquarters in Naples, Italy, said the alliance`s aircraft Thursday morning struck two vehicles of pro-Gaddafi forces "which were part of a larger group maneuvering in the vicinity of Sirte."

The Misrata Military Council, one of the command groups, said its fighters captured Gaddafi.

One fighter who said he was at the battle told Television News that the final fight took place at an opulent compound for visiting dignitaries built by Gaddafi`s regime. Adel Busamir said the convoy tried to break out but after being hit it turned back and re-entered the compound. Several hundred fighters assaulted.

"We found him there," Busamir said. "We saw them beating him (Gaddafi) and someone shot him with a 9mm pistol ... then they took him away."

Military spokesman Col. Ahmed Bani in Tripoli told Al-Jazeera TV that a wounded Gaddafi "tried to resist (revolutionary forces) so they took him down."

"I reassure everyone that this story has ended and this book has closed," he said.

After the battle, revolutionaries began searching homes and buildings looking for any hiding Gadhafi fighters. At least 16 were captured, along with cases of ammunition and trucks loaded with weapons. Reporters saw revolutionaries beating captured Gaddafi men in the back of trucks and officers intervening to stop them.

In the central quarter where Thursday`s final battle took place, the fighters looking like the same ragtag force that started the uprising eight months ago jumped up and down with joy and flashed V-for-victory signs. Some burned the green Gaddafi flag, and then stepped on it with their boots.

They chanted "Allah Akbar," or "God is great" in Arabic, while one fighter climbed a traffic light pole to unfurl the revolution`s flag, which he first kissed. Discarded military uniforms of Gaddafi`s fighters littered the streets. One revolutionary fighter waved a silver trophy in the air while another held up a box of firecrackers, and then set them off.

"Our forces control the last neighborhood in Sirte," Hassan Draoua, a member of Libya`s interim National Transitional Council, told a news agency in Tripoli. "The city has been liberated."

Bureau Report

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link