Gaddafi in Zimbabwe as `unique guest` of Mugabe?
Tripoli: Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe has helped Colonel Muammar Gaddafi to flee Libya and take refuge in his country, his political opponents have claimed.
Mugabe`s opponents claim that their spies had noticed Gaddafi arriving in the country on a Zimbabwe Air Force jet in the early hours of Wednesday morning. They also claimed that the Libyan dictator was taken to a mansion in Harare’s Gunninghill suburb, where agents from his all-female bodyguard were apparently seen patrolling the grounds.
“There`s no doubt that Gaddafi is here as a `unique guest` of Mugabe,” the Daily Mail quoted a spokesman for Zimbabwe`s opposition Movement for Democratic Change, as saying.
Gaddafi’s defected former prime minister Abdessalam Jalloud had earlier claimed that the dictator was either in southern Tripoli or had fled to the desert.
"He has only four people left around him. There are two possibilities: either he is hiding in the southern part of Tripoli or he left some time ago, and the second possibility is that he already fled a while ago and is either at the border with Algeria, or in Sirte or Sabha, and he will then cross the desert," Jalloud had said.
Meanwhile, reports have suggested that the rebels are reportedly marching towards Sirte in Libya in search of the dictator, as they believe that he might be hiding with his family in a bunker in the town.
Rebel leaders said that Sirte residents were being ‘virtually held hostage’ by troops and ‘brainwashed’ by Gaddafi over the years, but added that they wanted to join the revolution.
“They know it is all over for Gaddafi,” Ahmed Jebril, special adviser to Mustafa Abdul Jalil, the head of Libya’s government-in-waiting, the National Transitional Council, as saying.
“We hope that our fighters will once again drive into a Gaddafi stronghold and be greeted warmly by its people. This happened in Tripoli where we feared much blood. We pray it can happen in Sirte too,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional