`Gaddafi offered Kazakhstan billions for atom bombs`
Moscow: Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi offered Kazakhstan "billions" in the early 1990s to retain its nuclear arsenal as the Muslim world`s "first atomic weapons", a former Kazakh foreign minister and high-ranking UN official said Thursday.
Kazakhstan, a Central Asian, Muslim majority state, broke away from the Soviet Union in 1991 and gave up its nuclear arsenal of 1,410 nuclear warheads shortly after.
"At the start of 1992, the (Kazakh) foreign ministry received through diplomatic channels a letter to the president of Kazakhstan from the leader of the Libyan revolution, Muammar Gaddafi, proposing that he keep the country`s nuclear arsenal in the capacity of, as he wrote, the first Muslim atomic bombs," said Kassym-Jomart Tokayev at an international forum in the Kazakh capital of Astana.
Tokayev, who served as Kazakhstan`s foreign minister from 2003 to 2007 and is currently the director-general of the UN office in Geneva, also said Gaddafi had pledged "many billions" to fund the project. Tokayev did not specify a currency.
He also said Kazakhstan`s long-serving president, Nursultan Nazarbayev, had declined the offer over concerns for global "strategic order" and suggested the decision demonstrated that the country`s "national leader" possessed the "political and moral right to head a global anti-nuclear movement".
A spokesman for Nazarbayev told RIA Novosti he would "find out" about Tokayev`s comments.
The theme of Tokayev`s report at the forum was "the input of the people`s leader of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev to the assurance of international security".
Tokayev also suggested the letter be recovered from Kazakhstan`s files.
Gaddafi is widely believed to have pursued nuclear weapons up until 2003, when he agreed to dismantle Libya`s chemical, nuclear, and biological weapons.
Gaddafi was killed by opposition forces in October 2011 in his home town of Sirte when the Arab Spring revolution swept the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?