Gaddafi ready to step down: Former Croatian Prez
Zagreb: Former Croatian President
Stipe Mesic, who has close ties with Muammar Gaddafi, said
on Tuesday that the Libyan leader told him he was ready to step
down from political life if NATO ended airstrikes.
"I can confirm that colonel Gaddafi is ready to retreat
completely from political and public life with a firm
engagement that we would impede the setting up of a multi
party system but on the condition that the NATO airstrikes
cease," Mesic said in a statement quoted by Hina news agency.
The former president added that he had a "personal verbal
message" from Gaddafi last week with the offer and added he
told the Chinese, Russian and American ambassadors to Croatia
about it yesterday.
"The authorities in Tripoli have tried to get this message
out via all the available channels to countries that have
played a crucial role in the organisation and the operations
in Libya," Mesic added in the statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened