Gaddafi recruiting hundreds of Tuareg fighters: Mali
Bamako (Mali): Hundreds of young Tuareg
from Mali and Niger, including former rebels, are being
recruited by embattled Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi to fight
off a popular uprising, officials in northern Mali said.
"We are worried in many respects," said Abdou Salam Ag
Assalat, president of the Regional Assembly of Kidal.
These young people "are going in masses (to Libya).
It`s very dangerous for us because whether Gaddafi resists or
he falls, there will be an impact for our region."
He said regional authorities "are trying to dissuade
them" from leaving, particularly ex-rebels, but that it was
not easy as there were "dollars and weapons" waiting for them.
Assalat said an entire network was in place to
organise the trip to Libya.
"Gaddafi`s reach stretches to us. He knows who to
call, they make group trips. There seems to be an air link
from Chad. Others go by road to southern Libya."
"All of that scares me, really, because one day they
will come back with the same arms to destabilise the Sahel,"
said Assalat, adding that "a former Malian Tuareg rebel leader
is also in Libya", but did not mention his name.
The mayor of Kidal, Arbacane Ag Bazayak, shared the
same concern: "What will they do next? Come back with the same
weapons. It is a danger for the entire sub-region."
The Tuareg, a nomadic community of about 1.5 million
people are divided between Niger, Mali, Algeria, Libya and
Burkina Faso. In the 1990s and 2000 Mali and Niger were
plagued by Tuareg rebellions.
Witnesses report the presence of sub-Saharan African
citizens in Libya, who are being used as mercenaries by
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands