Gaddafi regime has declared war on its own people: Ban
Washington: The Muammar Gaddafi regime in
Libya has lost its legitimacy to rule as it has declared war
on its own people, UN chief Ban Ki-moon said on Tuesday.
"In Libya, a regime that has lost legitimacy has
declared war on its own people. It is up to us, the community
of nations, to stand against this crime," Ban said in his
remarks at the Holocaust Museum here.
"From Tunisia and Egypt, Bahrain to Yemen and beyond,
the region`s people are demanding new rights and new freedoms.
From the beginning, I have called on leaders in the region to
heed the voices of their people, to respect their right of
free speech and free assembly," he said.
"Above all, I have called for non violence. That is
why we are here today to send a message, to make a stand in
the name of humanity," Ban said in his address after he met US
President Barack Obama at the White House.
"President Obama and I discussed options before us. I
thanked President Obama for his firm and decisive leadership.
We agreed that the international community must stand firmly
together during this historic transition toward a more
democratic, secure and prosperous Middle East," he said.
Ban said he would continue to consult widely with
world leaders on the next steps.
He commended the Human Rights Council for its
unanimous recommendation to suspend Libya until the violence
stops and welcomed its call for an independent international
Ban urged all Member States of the United Nations to
act decisively in the General Assembly tomorrow.
"At this critical moment, at this pivotal point in
history, let us remember: `Never again` is for all people, in
all places. We must write a new history for humankind," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble