Gaddafi regime has declared war on its own people: Ban
Washington: The Muammar Gaddafi regime in
Libya has lost its legitimacy to rule as it has declared war
on its own people, UN chief Ban Ki-moon said on Tuesday.
"In Libya, a regime that has lost legitimacy has
declared war on its own people. It is up to us, the community
of nations, to stand against this crime," Ban said in his
remarks at the Holocaust Museum here.
"From Tunisia and Egypt, Bahrain to Yemen and beyond,
the region`s people are demanding new rights and new freedoms.
From the beginning, I have called on leaders in the region to
heed the voices of their people, to respect their right of
free speech and free assembly," he said.
"Above all, I have called for non violence. That is
why we are here today to send a message, to make a stand in
the name of humanity," Ban said in his address after he met US
President Barack Obama at the White House.
"President Obama and I discussed options before us. I
thanked President Obama for his firm and decisive leadership.
We agreed that the international community must stand firmly
together during this historic transition toward a more
democratic, secure and prosperous Middle East," he said.
Ban said he would continue to consult widely with
world leaders on the next steps.
He commended the Human Rights Council for its
unanimous recommendation to suspend Libya until the violence
stops and welcomed its call for an independent international
Ban urged all Member States of the United Nations to
act decisively in the General Assembly tomorrow.
"At this critical moment, at this pivotal point in
history, let us remember: `Never again` is for all people, in
all places. We must write a new history for humankind," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!