Gaddafi son`s trial to be in February, says Libya
Cairo: Libya has said that Saif al-Islam, the son of late leader Muammar Gaddafi whose regime was overthrown in 2011 by opposition forces with NATO`s assistance, will go on trial in February.
"Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, former Prime Minister Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi and Gaddafi`s former spy chief, Abdullah al-Senussi will be put on trial as soon as questioning is completed within the next month, as expected," Justice Minister Salah Maraghni said on national television in a statement.
The trial was originally set for September, 2012, but was postponed in the light of Abdullah al-Senussi`s extradition to Libya from Mauritania as prosecutors hoped he could provide more evidence against Saif al-Islam, news agency RIA Novosti reported.
Saif, 40, was considered the most likely successor to Colonel Gaddafi and actively supported his father`s attempts to quash the country`s rebellion in 2011, the report said.
Gaddafi`s regime was overthrown in October, 2011, by opposition forces with NATO`s assistance after a seven-month civil war. Gaddafi, who ruled the country for almost 42 years, was captured and killed by rebels near Sirte, his home town, on October 20.
Gaddafi`s second son, Saif, was captured in November, 2011, by a militia group from the western mountain town of Zintan, where he has been held ever since.
Saif is also wanted by the International Criminal Court, but Libyan officials have refused to hand him over to The Hague. The ICC issued an arrest warrant for him on charges of complicity in crimes against humanity.
Saif and his lawyers have asked for a trial in The Hague as they are afraid that he could face death sentence if tried in Libya, the report said.
The Libyan authorities, however, have promised Saif and former Gaddafi government officials a fair trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- BJP to go it alone in UP Assembly polls, Ram temple not to be on poll agenda: Mahesh Sharma
- Thousands flee IS offensive in northern Syria: Monitor
- Flipkart effect: Startups may lose sheen in job market
- 'USD 100 for shaving beard: ISIS imposes new fines, taxes'
- WATCH: HILARIOUS! Is this the most unusual batting stance in world cricket?