Gaddafi`s $25 mn Italian hotel complex seized
Rome: A EUR 20 million (USD 25 million) hotel complex and land owned in Italy by the family of slain Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi have been seized.
The complex is on the picturesque southern island of Pantelleria.
Before his death, Gaddafi was rumoured to be planning to build a holiday village on Pantelleria, located halfway between Sicily and the Tunisian coast and famed for its crystalline blue waters and unspoilt beaches.
Wednesday`s seizures on Pantelleria were ordered by a Rome court following the EUR 1.1 billion of Gaddafi family assets impounded by Italian tax police in March.
That seizure was made at a request by the International Criminal Court in The Hague, which is seeking the extradition of Gaddafi`s son, Saif al-Islam, on charges of crimes against humanity.
Among the assets seized in March held by Libyan sovereign wealth funds was a 1.3 percent stake in Italy`s largest bank, UniCredit, and a 0.6 percent stake in oil major Eni, the top foreign energy producer in Libya.
Under Gaddafi, Libya briefly held the biggest single stake in UniCredit.
Other confiscated stocks included a two percent stake of Italian aerospace and defence giant Finmeccanica, a 0.3 percent stake in car maker Fiat and truck maker Fiat Industrial.
Police said they also confiscated stock in Serie A football club Juventus, where one of Gaddafi`s sons, Saadi, who is now reportedly hiding in Niger, used to be on the board.
The assets -- a business empire built by Gaddafi starting in the 1970s -- had already been frozen after the start of the Libyan conflict last year. Police said it took time to work out the exact owners of the funds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’