Gaddafi`s daughter thrown out of Algeria
London: Late Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi`s daughter has been granted asylum in Oman after she was thrown out of her Algerian safe-house because she repeatedly set it on fire in fits of anger.
Aisha, who gave birth to a daughter just days after fleeing to Algeria in 2011, started fires inside the presidential palace she was given, attacked her army bodyguards and destroyed a portrait of the Algerian President, Abdul Aziz Bouteflika, the local newspaper Ennahar reported.
The destruction of the painting was said to have been the final straw and the 37-year-old, who used to be a UN goodwill ambassador, was forced to leave the country, the Independent reports.
According to the report, Aisha, her mother Safia Farkash, her daughter, also named Safia, and brothers Mohammed and Hannibal are understood to have been living under the protection and at the expense of the Omani government since October 2012.
They were given sanctuary there on `humanitarian grounds`.
Aisha, a lawyer by profession, is the fifth child of former Libyan leader Gaddafi and his only daughter.
Her husband, Ahmed al-Gaddafi al-Qahsi, an army colonel, and two of their three children were killed in bombing raids that ended her father`s 42-year regime.
Algeria said it took in the family because Aisha was so close to giving birth and because the International Criminal Court had not issued arrest warrants for any members of the party, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy