Gaddafi`s namesake in UAE to change his name: Report
Dubai: A namesake of embattled Libyan leader
Moammer Gaddafi has rushed to change his name in "solidarity"
with Libyan people, an Emirati daily reported on Wednesday.
The 40-year-old Sudanese Moammer Gaddafi who lives in
Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates is trying to change his
name "in solidarity with the Libyans whose blood was shed"
during an uprising against the Libyan leader, Arabic daily
Emarat Alyoum reported.
The Sudanese man who said his father has named him after
Gaddafi, "one year following his (the Libyan leader`s) revolt
against the king`s rule" has begun with "the legal measures
needed to change his name," said the daily.
"I was proud of the name and I even used to copy
Gaddafi`s hairstyle... but after what happened, especially
when he described his people as `rats`, and started facing
peaceful protesters with planes and tanks... this made me feel
that the name has become a curse I should get rid of," the
daily quoted the namesake as saying.
Gaddafi last week urged his supporters to rally and help
"capture the rats," as he termed anti-regime demonstrators.
Rights groups say at least 1,000 people have been killed
in Libya in a brutal crackdown by forces loyal to Gaddafi on
pro-democracy demonstrators who took to the streets nearly two
weeks ago in the wake of upheavals in neighbouring Egypt and
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know