Gaddafi`s namesake in UAE to change his name: Report
Dubai: A namesake of embattled Libyan leader
Moammer Gaddafi has rushed to change his name in "solidarity"
with Libyan people, an Emirati daily reported on Wednesday.
The 40-year-old Sudanese Moammer Gaddafi who lives in
Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates is trying to change his
name "in solidarity with the Libyans whose blood was shed"
during an uprising against the Libyan leader, Arabic daily
Emarat Alyoum reported.
The Sudanese man who said his father has named him after
Gaddafi, "one year following his (the Libyan leader`s) revolt
against the king`s rule" has begun with "the legal measures
needed to change his name," said the daily.
"I was proud of the name and I even used to copy
Gaddafi`s hairstyle... but after what happened, especially
when he described his people as `rats`, and started facing
peaceful protesters with planes and tanks... this made me feel
that the name has become a curse I should get rid of," the
daily quoted the namesake as saying.
Gaddafi last week urged his supporters to rally and help
"capture the rats," as he termed anti-regime demonstrators.
Rights groups say at least 1,000 people have been killed
in Libya in a brutal crackdown by forces loyal to Gaddafi on
pro-democracy demonstrators who took to the streets nearly two
weeks ago in the wake of upheavals in neighbouring Egypt and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened