Gaddafi`s playboy son on Interpol`s most-wanted list
Paris: Interpol put ousted Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi`s son al-Saadi on the equivalent of its most-wanted list on Thursday, and said he was last seen in Niger.
The international police agency said in a statement that it has issued a red notice for al-Saadi Gaddafi, based on a request by the National Transitional Council, the opposition movement whose fighters overthrew Gaddafi last month.
It was the first time Interpol has issued such a notice at the request of Libya`s post-Gaddafi leadership.
Interpol says the notice was based on accusations that al-Saadi Gaddafi, 38, misappropriated property and engaged in "armed intimidation" when he headed the Libyan Football Federation.
He was also a special forces commander and is the subject of UN sanctions for commanding military units involved in repression of demonstrations.
Al-Saadi and other Gaddafi regime loyalists have crossed into Niger earlier this month following former rebel advances on loyalist areas.
Interpol urged authorities in Niger and surrounding countries — and countries with direct flights to Niger — to watch out for and arrest Gaddafi "with a view to returning him to Libya" for prosecution.
Interpol`s red notices are the highest-level alerts they can issue to their member countries. The notices do not force countries to turn over suspects but strongly urge them to. Countries who ignore such notices can come under pressure from the international community.
Interpol has already issued red notices for Muammar Gaddafi and his son Seif al-Islam Gaddafi based on a request by the International Criminal Court. Both men have been charged with crimes against humanity.
Muammar Gaddafi`s whereabouts are unknown. Libya`s new rulers said on Wednesday they believe he may be hiding in the southern desert under the protection of ethnic Tuareg fighters, while two of his other sons are holed up in cities besieged by revolutionary forces elsewhere in Libya.
Gaddafi`s wife and daughter fled to neighbouring Algeria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp