‘Gaddafi’s son attacked in Libya detention’
The Hague: Saif al-Islam, the son of slain
Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, has been attacked in detention
in Libya, a lawyer from the International Criminal Court said
"Gaddafi has been physically attacked," ICC defence
official Xavier-Jean Keita said in a statement accusing Libyan
authorities of depriving the country`s onetime favourite son
of his fundamental rights.
"He also suffers pain due to the absence of dental
treatment," the lawyer said in a statement.
Seif al-Islam is wanted on charges of crimes against
humanity for his role in trying to put down the uprising to
unseat his father in Libya last year.
Keita, who is from the ICC`s Office of Public Counsel for
the Defence (OPCD) and is acting as Seif`s primary counsel,
did not say when the attack took place or give any further
Keita said Seif`s "effective representation cannot be
secured in a setting in which the OPCD has no ability to
conduct privileged communications with Gaddafi on an ongoing
basis, or to transmit privileged documents to him.
"Gaddafi has been interviewed by domestic authorities
without the benefit of legal representation, and has been
provided misleading information concerning the status of
domestic investigations against him," the statement said.
Also today, the global police agency Interpol issued
alerts seeking the arrest of two senior officials in Muammar
Gaddafi`s ousted regime on suspicion of torture and
A statement from the France-based body said Libya had
requested assistance in detaining two officials identified as
former interior minister Al-Senussi Alozyre, 63, and his
former deputy Naser al-Mabruk, 60.
They are "accused of a range of offences including
carrying out illegal arrests, unjustified deprivation of
personal liberty and torture."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference