Gaddafi’s son LSE lecture “horrific”: David Miliband
London: Former British foreign secretary David Miliband has said it was ‘horrific’ to see that a London School of Economics lecture in the name of his father was delivered by Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi’s son, Saif.
The Ralph Miliband memorial lecture was given by Saif Gaddafi last May.
On being asked his opinion about the speech given by Saif, Miliband said: “It’s horrific. The Ralph Miliband Programme at the LSE was founded by a former student of my dad’s in the 1950s who said he’d learnt more about the Right in the seminars of my dad – who was obviously on the Left – because my dad believed in showing all sides of opinion.”
“The idea of Saif Gaddafi giving a lecture under his name is just horrific to him and horrific to the whole family obviously,” the Daily Mail quoted the British MP, as saying.
Miliband comments have come following the resignation of LSE director Sir Howard Davies over the university’s embarrassing links with the Libyan dictatorship.
On Sunday, Saif slammed former LSE friends as ‘cowards turning on us’. Saif faces being stripped of his PhD degree over claims that it was plagiarised and written by paid consultants.
Professor Abubakr Buera of Benghazi`s Garyounis University had earlier claimed that a Libyan academic who had helped Saif to draft his dissertation was later rewarded with an ambassador`s posting to Europe.
"I learnt that Saif gathered some PhD holders from Garyounis University in Benghazi, Libya, to help him write his doctoral dissertation. Among the people he consulted was a professor of economics who was a graduate from Germany,” he said.
“His name is Dr Menesi; what gives credibility to this allegation is that Dr Menesi, who was then retired, was brought back to active service as a government bank chairman in Libya, then governor to the Central Bank in Libya, then minister of finance, and finally Libya`s ambassador to Austria," Professor Buera added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800