Gaddafi’s son seeks Blair’s assistance in ‘crushing enemies’
Tripoli: Muammar Gaddafi’s son has urged former British prime minister Tony Blair to utilise his “diplomatic skills” in helping his father’s regime in ‘crushing their enemies’.
A close ally of Saif al-Islam Gaddafi has reportedly urged Blair to help Libya to attain stability.
“He is peacemaker in the Middle East, and should be able to use his talents for peacemaking here. We need his diplomatic skills now as we set about crushing our enemies,” the Daily Mail quoted the official, who is also a senior figure in the Libyan regime, as saying.
“It is time for the international community to bring peace to Libya and Tony Blair could be at the forefront of this process. Tony Blair is a good friend who would put the country on a stable footing,” he added.
The official’s statement has come amid warnings by British MPs and critics that Blair, who is reportedly still a ‘good friend’ of the Libyan dictator, could be severely embarrassed if the Gaddafi regime collapses.
The families of Lockerbie bombing victims have also warned that the former prime minister would be left with a ‘dirty bib’ when full details of the trade deals between Libya and Western companies, some of which were engineered by Blair, are revealed, the paper said.
Earlier, Saif had claimed in an interview that Blair was a friend of the Gaddafi regime, adding that he was a consultant to the Libyan Investment Authority, the sovereign fund responsible for the country’s GBP 50 billion oil wealth. Blair, however, has denied the claims of Gaddafi’s son.
Since the end of Blair’s tenure, the former British PM has reportedly received fees of up to GBP 2 million a year as an adviser to JP Morgan, which has important business interests in Libya.
On being asked if Blair was in touch with Colonel Gaddafi or any members of his regime through telephone or e-mail, the source said: “If he was it would be a secret. Their recent negotiations have all been a secret.”
Yesterday, former Libyan justice minister Mohamed Mustafa Abud al-Jalil had claimed of having proof that Gaddafi had “personally given the order for the Lockerbie bombing``.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow