Gaddafi`s son, spy chief to be tried in Libya
Tripoli: Slain Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi`s eldest son Saif al-Islam Gaddafi and intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senoussi will stand trial in Libya as early as next month, Xinhua reported Monday.
Tara Barra, spokesperson for Libya`s attorney general, said Saif and Senoussi will be put on trial after the completion of questioning of Senoussi.
Last week, the justice ministry announced that former prime minister al-Baghdadi Ali al-Mahmoudi will also be tried along with the other two.
Barra`s announcement came amid an ongoing battle between Libya and the International Criminal Court (ICC) over where Saif should face justice.
In 2011, the ICC issued warrants against Senoussi, Muammar Gaddafi and Saif on charges of crimes against humanity stemming from the crackdown on protesters.
Muammar Gaddafi was killed by rebels near his hometown of Sirte in October 2011.
Saif`s lawyers say their client would not receive a fair trial in Libya, because he could face the death penalty.
The Libyan authorities have repeatedly rejected requests to hand him over for trial in The Hague.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof