Gaddafi`s son wanted cruise ship with a shark tank
London: Hannibal Gaddafi, the fourth son of
deposed Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi, had reportedly
ordered a playboy cruise ship with an in-built shark tank
to entertain guests.
Hannibal, who controlled Libya`s maritime industry during
his family`s rule, had commissioned the vessel, The Phoenicia,
after being unable to charter cruise ships at short notice.
The vessel, which could not be completed before the fall
of Gaddafi regime, was aimed at providing entertainment for up
to 3,500 guests with elaborate gilt-edged architectural
flourishes, the Daily Telegraph reported.
Inside the ship, Hannibal asked for a 120-tonne chamber
filled with seawater for two sand tiger sharks, two white
sharks and two blacktip reef sharks.
Flanked with marble pillars, gold-framed mirrors and
giant statues, the shark tank was to be a unique centrepiece
for his guests and four full-time biologists would have tended
to the creatures, with an on-board dedicated food source, said
After the 36 year-old fled to Algeria and the uprising
felled the Gaddafi regime, the contract for the playboy cruise
liner was terminated and the vessel was put on sale. The ship
was now bought by MSC Cruises -- one of the largest cruise
operators in the world.
The ship is being renamed "The MSC Preziosa" and will be
deployed on cruises around Greek island in March next year.
But, passengers will be unable to see the shark tank, as the
company is removing it along with his elaborate architectural
touches, the report said.
"I personally don`t know why, but he wanted a shark
tank," Pierfrancesco Vago, MSC`s chief executive, was quoted
as telling The Financial Times.
MSC, which spent nine months negotiating with Korean
shipbuilder STX Corporation over the sale, is the same company
Hannibal Gaddafi had chartered cruise ships from before
ordering his own.
"They had great difficulty understanding that cruise ship
holidays are sold a year in advance, so there’s no way you
could ever find availability of a cruise vessel at the notice
he gave," Vago said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow