Gandhi Jayanti celebrated in UK
London: Mahatma Gandhi`s 144th birth anniversary was marked with Bhajans and Vedic prayers at his iconic statue at Tavistock Square in London on Wednesday.
The Indian High Commission organised the event that was attended by the Deputy Mayor of Camden, Councillor Lazarro Pietragnoli, British Indian MP Virendra Sharma and other senior representatives from Indian organisations based in Britain.
"This is an important occasion to reflect on the life and teachings of the Father of our Nation. The universality of his ideas and ideals are an inspiration even today. Let us try and live by those principles and ideals," said Virander Paul, the acting High Commissioner of India in the UK.
Floral tributes to the Mahatma were followed by a performance of his favourite bhajans ? Vaishnava Jan and Raghupati Raghav ? by young members of the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Centre in the UK.
"Gandhi is the most important and iconic figure of the 20th century and even in a country like Italy, where I was born, he is greatly respected and his teachings are valid even today," said Pietragnoli.
"This statue of Gandhi, which reflects his thinking and teaching pose, has become a true sign of peace," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued