Gandhi`s sandals, monkeys to be auctioned in UK
London: Mahatma Gandhi`s personal belongings and documents, including his prayer beads, drinking cup, a pair of sandals and ivory-carved `Three Wise Monkeys`, will go under the hammer in Britain later in May.
"Star lots include one of the largest collections of memorabilia relating to Mahatma Gandhi ever to be offered," auction house Mullock`s said in a statement. Besides, a very large selection of important documents and artefacts relating to India will also go under the hammer.
Articles included in the sale are those which belonged to the Father of the nation when he was recovering from illness at Juhu in 1924.
The articles up for sale in Ludlow include his personal prayer beads, shawl, made from linen thread he spun himself, bed sheet, personal bowl with fork and spoon, personal drinking cup and even his personal ivory-carved `Three Wise Monkeys`.
The sale takes place on May 21, during the next Mullock`s Auction of important historical documents at Ludlow Racecourse in the English Midlands.
Also in the sale are Gandhi`s will and power of attorney which he wrote in 1921, and a series of important letters.
One of these, written in 1937 settles a highly controversial dispute which was taking place within the Indian National Congress. There are also original portraits?and photographs of Gandhi, some of which have been personally signed by him.
In addition to the items of Gandhian interest, the sale also features a wealth of documents, paintings and artifacts relating to India and the Punjab.
These include rare original photographs of Maharajah Duleep Singh, one of which shows him with the young Edward VII.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video