Gandhi`s sandals, monkeys to be auctioned in UK
London: Mahatma Gandhi`s personal belongings and documents, including his prayer beads, drinking cup, a pair of sandals and ivory-carved `Three Wise Monkeys`, will go under the hammer in Britain later in May.
"Star lots include one of the largest collections of memorabilia relating to Mahatma Gandhi ever to be offered," auction house Mullock`s said in a statement. Besides, a very large selection of important documents and artefacts relating to India will also go under the hammer.
Articles included in the sale are those which belonged to the Father of the nation when he was recovering from illness at Juhu in 1924.
The articles up for sale in Ludlow include his personal prayer beads, shawl, made from linen thread he spun himself, bed sheet, personal bowl with fork and spoon, personal drinking cup and even his personal ivory-carved `Three Wise Monkeys`.
The sale takes place on May 21, during the next Mullock`s Auction of important historical documents at Ludlow Racecourse in the English Midlands.
Also in the sale are Gandhi`s will and power of attorney which he wrote in 1921, and a series of important letters.
One of these, written in 1937 settles a highly controversial dispute which was taking place within the Indian National Congress. There are also original portraits?and photographs of Gandhi, some of which have been personally signed by him.
In addition to the items of Gandhian interest, the sale also features a wealth of documents, paintings and artifacts relating to India and the Punjab.
These include rare original photographs of Maharajah Duleep Singh, one of which shows him with the young Edward VII.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know