Gandhi`s sandals, monkeys to be auctioned in UK
London: Mahatma Gandhi`s personal belongings and documents, including his prayer beads, drinking cup, a pair of sandals and ivory-carved `Three Wise Monkeys`, will go under the hammer in Britain later in May.
"Star lots include one of the largest collections of memorabilia relating to Mahatma Gandhi ever to be offered," auction house Mullock`s said in a statement. Besides, a very large selection of important documents and artefacts relating to India will also go under the hammer.
Articles included in the sale are those which belonged to the Father of the nation when he was recovering from illness at Juhu in 1924.
The articles up for sale in Ludlow include his personal prayer beads, shawl, made from linen thread he spun himself, bed sheet, personal bowl with fork and spoon, personal drinking cup and even his personal ivory-carved `Three Wise Monkeys`.
The sale takes place on May 21, during the next Mullock`s Auction of important historical documents at Ludlow Racecourse in the English Midlands.
Also in the sale are Gandhi`s will and power of attorney which he wrote in 1921, and a series of important letters.
One of these, written in 1937 settles a highly controversial dispute which was taking place within the Indian National Congress. There are also original portraits?and photographs of Gandhi, some of which have been personally signed by him.
In addition to the items of Gandhian interest, the sale also features a wealth of documents, paintings and artifacts relating to India and the Punjab.
These include rare original photographs of Maharajah Duleep Singh, one of which shows him with the young Edward VII.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow