Gang raids posh London hotel in jewellery heist
London: A moped riding smash-and-grab gang armed with sledgehammers burst into one of world`s most posh hotels in the heart of the city and ran away with jewellery and watches.
Three men from a group of six entered the boutique of the Dorchester Hotel on Park Lane late last night and made their escape on their mopeds.
They smashed a number of display cabinets and grabbed thousands of pounds worth of watches and jewellery before fleeing.
Scotland Yard officers on routine patrol in the area came across the robbery as it was in progress and gave chase and came across a 25-year-old woman who had been hit by one of the mopeds nearby.
The woman was taken to a south London hospital with leg injuries but was later discharged.
No arrests have been made in the case so far as the Metropolitan Police launches an appeal for information.
Detective Constable Alex Flanagan said, "We are in the early stages of our investigation and I would like to hear from anyone who was on Park Lane or nearby who may have seen the robbery or the men making their escape.
"Likewise I am keen to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the accident that took place in Cambridge Circus.
"This was a well-planned and thought through robbery and there may be people who know who is responsible and I keen for those with any information no matter how small to come forward and assist us with our investigation.
"Similar smash-and-grab attacks have taken place in the city?s posh spots over the past few months, including at Selfridges on Oxford Street, and are mostly targeted at designer jewellery and watches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt