Gang raids posh London hotel in jewellery heist
London: A moped riding smash-and-grab gang armed with sledgehammers burst into one of world`s most posh hotels in the heart of the city and ran away with jewellery and watches.
Three men from a group of six entered the boutique of the Dorchester Hotel on Park Lane late last night and made their escape on their mopeds.
They smashed a number of display cabinets and grabbed thousands of pounds worth of watches and jewellery before fleeing.
Scotland Yard officers on routine patrol in the area came across the robbery as it was in progress and gave chase and came across a 25-year-old woman who had been hit by one of the mopeds nearby.
The woman was taken to a south London hospital with leg injuries but was later discharged.
No arrests have been made in the case so far as the Metropolitan Police launches an appeal for information.
Detective Constable Alex Flanagan said, "We are in the early stages of our investigation and I would like to hear from anyone who was on Park Lane or nearby who may have seen the robbery or the men making their escape.
"Likewise I am keen to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the accident that took place in Cambridge Circus.
"This was a well-planned and thought through robbery and there may be people who know who is responsible and I keen for those with any information no matter how small to come forward and assist us with our investigation.
"Similar smash-and-grab attacks have taken place in the city?s posh spots over the past few months, including at Selfridges on Oxford Street, and are mostly targeted at designer jewellery and watches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users