Gas explosion levels US buildings; 18 hurt
Springfield: Authorities say a natural gas explosion in one of New England`s biggest cities has destroyed two buildings but hasn`t killed anyone.
They say firefighters and gas company workers are among more than a dozen injured people.
The explosion in downtown Springfield blew out all windows in a three block radius, leaving three more buildings beyond repair and prompting emergency workers to evacuate a six story apartment building that was buckling.
Officials at two nearby hospitals say 16 victims were transported with injuries, but none was critical.
Firefighters were investigating a gas leak when the blast happened shortly after 5 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'