Gates in UAE to discuss tense Middle East
Abu Dhabi: US Secretary of Defence Robert Gates arrived in Abu Dhabi on Friday to discuss with United Arab Emirates officials the waves of popular protests sweeping the Middle East.
Gates arrived from Iraq about 5:30 pm (1330 GMT), according to a report.
During his brief visit, Gates is to meet with Abu Dhabi crown prince and deputy commander of the UAE armed forces Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahayan, according to those travelling with him.
A senior defence official said that Gates will reaffirm the US administration`s approach to protests, namely that reforms are necessary but should be accomplished from evolutionary change, rather than through revolution.
"We believe that the demonstrations have to be non-violent and the reactions of the governments have to be non-violent," Gates said in remarks before US soldiers in Iraqi Kurdistan.
"Beyond those principles, we need to take each country at a time," he said.
The UAE, an oil-rich ally of the US, shares Washington`s concerns about instability in Yemen and the role in the region of Iran, which various Gulf Arab monarchies have accused of plotting and interference, especially in Bahrain.
The UAE sent security forces to Bahrain, along with Saudi Arabia, to help the government there deal with pro-democracy protesters in the kingdom.
The cool Western response to that intervention angered Abu Dhabi, and caused it to delay the deployment of 12 combat aircraft to help enforce a no-fly zone over Libya.
The UAE and Qatar were the only Arab countries to take part in the Libyan intervention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe