Gates meets with leaders of Bahrain
Manama: US Defence Secretary Robert Gates is meeting in Bahrain with the kingdom`s top rulers, who are facing growing demands for more political freedom.
In Saturday`s meetings, Gates is expected to urge a more open dialogue with political opposition groups, while offering reassurances of US support for the rulers.
Gates is the first member of President Barack Obama`s Cabinet to visit this tiny Persian Gulf nation since street protests began in mid-February.
Bahrain`s rulers are facing rising conflict between Sunni Muslims who support the ruling system and majority Shi’ites demanding the Sunnis give up their monopoly on power.
The country is of great strategic importance to the United States, whose naval 5th Fleet is based in Bahrain as a bulwark against Iran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam