Gay Brazilian married in US may face deportation
Boston: A Brazilian man who was recently reunited with his Massachusetts husband when federal officials temporarily allowed him into the US said he could face deportation because the attorney general won`t reverse the immigration ruling that initially separated the couple.
Genesio Oliveira, 31, said Monday that he could be forced to return to Brazil in six months because of Eric Holder`s decision.
"I was very depressed," Oliveira said in a telephone interview. "I`m terrified. I thought this would be over by now."
Three years ago, Oliveira and husband Tim Coco, 49, of Haverhill, were forced to live apart when Oliveira was denied asylum over claims he was raped as a teenager. A judge found Oliveira`s fear of returning to Brazil "genuine," but ruled he was never physically harmed by the rape.
The Associated Press does not typically name rape victims, but Oliveira speaks openly about his case and allows his name to be used.
The case gained international attention from gay rights and immigrant advocates who criticized U.S. officials for separating a legally married couple.
In June, at US Sen. John Kerry`s urging, federal officials temporarily allowed Oliveira back in the country on humanitarian grounds.
Following his return to Massachusetts, Oliveira said the couple believed Holder would reverse the initial immigration decision. Oliveira, whose nickname is "Junior," said that would have allowed him to apply for permanent residency in the US either on the basis of his marriage or as an asylum-seeker who feels threatened by anti-gay violence in his country.
Although Brazil is one of Latin America`s most tolerant countries toward gays, a number of Brazilian gays have persuaded US judges to grant them asylum on the grounds they would face persecution if sent home.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list