Gay Brazilian married in US may face deportation
Boston: A Brazilian man who was recently reunited with his Massachusetts husband when federal officials temporarily allowed him into the US said he could face deportation because the attorney general won`t reverse the immigration ruling that initially separated the couple.
Genesio Oliveira, 31, said Monday that he could be forced to return to Brazil in six months because of Eric Holder`s decision.
"I was very depressed," Oliveira said in a telephone interview. "I`m terrified. I thought this would be over by now."
Three years ago, Oliveira and husband Tim Coco, 49, of Haverhill, were forced to live apart when Oliveira was denied asylum over claims he was raped as a teenager. A judge found Oliveira`s fear of returning to Brazil "genuine," but ruled he was never physically harmed by the rape.
The Associated Press does not typically name rape victims, but Oliveira speaks openly about his case and allows his name to be used.
The case gained international attention from gay rights and immigrant advocates who criticized U.S. officials for separating a legally married couple.
In June, at US Sen. John Kerry`s urging, federal officials temporarily allowed Oliveira back in the country on humanitarian grounds.
Following his return to Massachusetts, Oliveira said the couple believed Holder would reverse the initial immigration decision. Oliveira, whose nickname is "Junior," said that would have allowed him to apply for permanent residency in the US either on the basis of his marriage or as an asylum-seeker who feels threatened by anti-gay violence in his country.
Although Brazil is one of Latin America`s most tolerant countries toward gays, a number of Brazilian gays have persuaded US judges to grant them asylum on the grounds they would face persecution if sent home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days