Gay lobby exists in Vatican government: Pope
Vatican City: Besides corruption, there is a "gay lobby" inside the Vatican government or curia, Pope Francis admitted, saying "we will have to see what we can do".
"Yes... it is difficult. In the Curia, there are also holy people, really, there are holy people. But there also is a stream of corruption, there is that as well, it is true... The `gay lobby` is mentioned, and it is true, it is there... We need to see what we can do," the pontiff said.
He did not specify what kind of action he might take.
Francis made the remark during an audience with members of the Latin American and Caribbean Confederation of Religious Men and Women (CLAR).
He also signalled his support for the reform of the government of the Catholic Church.
"The reform of the Roman Curia is something that almost all Cardinals asked for in the Congregations preceding the Conclave. I also asked for it," Francis said.
In February last year, the Vatican attacked Italian media reports of a powerful "gay lobby" inside the curia, citing a confidential report commissioned by the previous pope, Benedict XVI.
Benedict ordered the report after leaks of private papal documents to Italian media that laid bare corruption and venemous infighting in the Vatican.
His former butler, Paolo Gabriele, was jailed for the leaks but was released after Benedict pardoned him.
The "Vatileaks" report was prepared by a three-cardinal commission. It uncovered a lobby of "worldly" gay prelates that could affect individual promotion prospects and wielded "external influence", the La Repubblica daily said.
Shortly before Benedict abdicated in February, the Vatican said the report would "remain solely at the disposition of the new pope".
There has been speculation that the alleged gay lobby`s power had influenced Benedict`s decison to step down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!