Gay marriage causes stir in China
Beijing: A public announcement by two gay men that they were planning to marry each other has gone viral viral on Chinese media and caused quite a stir in a country that bans homosexual marriage.
The gay couple, identified as "big treasure" and "small treasure," broke the news online yesterday and sought people`s blessings.
They also posted photos on their Weibo microblog, showing them hugging, one wearing a white wedding gown, Chinese newspaper Guanzhou Daily reported.
Their announcement soon captured many people`s attention and drew different reactions.
The two old men, one of whom is a retired teacher, said they met and fell in love in Beijing.
The other is a bottled water deliveryman from a rural area.
Despite their differences in education and occupation, they are determined to live together, the report carried by China-org.Cn said.
On Weibo, some Chinese Twitter users said they could not understand their relationship and some questioned their motives. Some even doubted their high-profile marriage announcement but most respected their decision.
The two men, who said it is true love that binds them, have already encountered problems with their families and friends who rejected their relationship.
One man`s child is no longer speaking to him, according to the paper.
The gay couple plans to hold a wedding in a few days.
Though unable to get a marriage certificate from the government, they hoped well-wishers would come to witness and bless their union, the paper said.
China still bans homosexual marriage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next