Gay marriage plan undemocratic: UK`s top priest
London: The head of the Roman Catholic Church in Britain has described the government`s plans for gay marriage as undemocratic and a "shambles".
Archbishop of Westminster Vincent Nichols said the government had no mandate to push through same-sex marriage laws.
"There was no announcement in any party manifesto, no Green Paper, no statement in the queen`s speech. And yet here we are on the verge of primary legislation. From a democratic point of view, it`s a shambles," Nichols was quoted as saying by the Daily Express.
Culture Secretary Maria Miller said earlier that no church would be forced to conduct a gay wedding. The first gay couples are expected to marry in church within the next 18 months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!