Associate Sponsor
Sponsors


Gaza crisis: Hamas defends ambush, death toll rises as Israel launches fresh attacks

By Neha Attre | Last Updated: Saturday, August 2, 2014 - 21:34

Zee Media Bureau/ Neha Attre

Israel continues its attacks in southern Gaza while it searched for one of its missing soldiers believed to have been captured by Hamas even as Israeli troops were seen withdrawing from a northern town.

The United Nations said that nearly 300 children have been killed since Israel launched its offensive in the Gaza Strip against Hamas on July 8.

  • President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said on Saturday an Egyptian truce plan provided a "real chance" to end the Gaza conflict, stressing the need for its speedy implementation, the AFP reported.
  • Hamas claimed responsibility on Saturday for a deadly Gaza Strip ambush in which an Israeli army officer may have been captured, but said the incident likely preceded and therefore had not violated a US- and UN-sponsored truce, the Reuters reported.  

    Also Read: Hamas defends Gaza ambush blamed for ending ceasefire

  • Israel intensified its attack in Gaza as more rockets were fired in the territory today morning. At least 35 people have reportedly been killed in Rafah, where the Israeli soldier went missing.
  • While UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned the recent ceasefire violation by Hamas "in the strongest terms", the United Nations is still seeking for a ceasefire despite the recent failure.
  • Hamas denied having any information about the missing Israeli soldier and said that Goldin might have been killed during an ambush.
  • US President Barack Obama asked Hamas to release the reportedly captured soldier and said that the United States "unequivocally condemned Hamas and the Palestinian factions that were responsible for killing two Israeli soldiers, and abducting a third almost minutes after a ceasefire had been announced," the AFP reported. 
  • The US Congress on Friday approved $225 million for Israel`s Iron Dome anti-missile defense system, credited with destroying missiles fired by Hamas before they could reach their targets, the AFP reported.

    Also Read: US Congress approves $225 million for Israeli ``Iron Dome`` system

  • The violence started after the supposed kidnap of 23-year-old Israeli soldier, Hadar Goldin, which ended the three-day truce hours merely hours after it came into effect.
  • Around 107 Palestinians were killed in attacks that resumed on Saturday night after the failure of 72-hour ceasefire.


  • First Published: Saturday, August 2, 2014 - 09:33

    More from zeenews

     
    comments powered by Disqus