Gaza crisis: UN names panel to probe war crimes
Zee Media Bureau
United Nations: The United Nations has named a three-member panel which will probe the war crimes and human rights violations that took place in Gaza Strip in the violence between Israel and Palestine.
The Independent Commission of Inquiry comprise British-Lebanese human rights lawyer Amal Alamuddin, professor of international criminal law William Schabas and Doudou Diene from Senegal, a United Nations Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism.
Alamuddin, who is also engaged to Hollywood actor George Clooney, later issued a statement and said that she would not be able o take up the new role.
"I was contacted by the UN about this for the first time this morning. I am honoured to have received the offer, but given existing commitments - including eight ongoing cases - unfortunately could not accept this role," Alamuddin said.
"I wish my colleagues who will serve on the commission courage and strength in their endeavours," she said in the statement quoted by the Guardian.
Alamuddin said she is "horrified" by the situation in the occupied Gaza Strip, particularly the civilian casualties that have been caused, and "strongly believes that there should be an independent investigation and accountability for crimes that have been committed."
Alamuddin specialises in international law and human rights and has worked at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) and as legal adviser to the Prosecutor of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon.
Schabas, who hails from Canada, is a professor of international criminal law and human rights and served on the Sierra Leone Truth and Reconciliation Commission until 2004.
Schabas, a member of the UN Voluntary Fund for Technical Cooperation in Human Rights, will serve as the commission`s Chair.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi