Gaza Hamas chief arrives in Iran: State television
Tehran: The Hamas Prime Minister in Gaza,
Ismail Haniya, arrived in Tehran on Friday on a three-day trip and
is due to speak at a rally marking the 33 anniversary of the
1979 Islamic revolution tomorrow, state media reported.
The state television website said the Palestinian will
meet with Iran`s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei,
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and other high ranking Iranian
political and security officials.
Local media said two days ago that Haniya would receive
an honorary degree from Tehran University.
Israel views Hamas as a terrorist group and has accused
Iran of being its main arms supplier.
Khamenei, last week called Israel "a cancerous tumour
that must be removed, and God willing it will be."
Ahmadinejad, who is to give a speech tomorrow to mark the
day 33 years ago when revolutionaries claimed victory over the
deposed regime of the US-backed shah, has strongly backed the
He has voiced Iran`s longstanding policy of rejecting the
continued existence of Israel and of supporting foes of the
Jewish state, including Hamas.
The Islamist group this week signed a deal with its
rival, Fatah, which runs the West Bank under Palestinian
president Mahmud Abbas, to form a consensus government ruling
both Palestinian territories.
Israel has rejected the union, and warned Abbas to choose
between reconciliation with Hamas and making peace with the
A senior Fatah official has said that the new
Palestinian government would be announced in Cairo on February
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked