Gaza Hamas chief arrives in Iran: State television
Tehran: The Hamas Prime Minister in Gaza,
Ismail Haniya, arrived in Tehran on Friday on a three-day trip and
is due to speak at a rally marking the 33 anniversary of the
1979 Islamic revolution tomorrow, state media reported.
The state television website said the Palestinian will
meet with Iran`s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei,
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and other high ranking Iranian
political and security officials.
Local media said two days ago that Haniya would receive
an honorary degree from Tehran University.
Israel views Hamas as a terrorist group and has accused
Iran of being its main arms supplier.
Khamenei, last week called Israel "a cancerous tumour
that must be removed, and God willing it will be."
Ahmadinejad, who is to give a speech tomorrow to mark the
day 33 years ago when revolutionaries claimed victory over the
deposed regime of the US-backed shah, has strongly backed the
He has voiced Iran`s longstanding policy of rejecting the
continued existence of Israel and of supporting foes of the
Jewish state, including Hamas.
The Islamist group this week signed a deal with its
rival, Fatah, which runs the West Bank under Palestinian
president Mahmud Abbas, to form a consensus government ruling
both Palestinian territories.
Israel has rejected the union, and warned Abbas to choose
between reconciliation with Hamas and making peace with the
A senior Fatah official has said that the new
Palestinian government would be announced in Cairo on February
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days